Sunday, 23 November 2014
Just recently I found myself browsing the nail polish stand (again) in Topshop. Domestic Goddess instantly stood out to me because 1) I don't have anything quite like this in my collection and 2) I thought this would be the perfect alternative Autumnal shade. I would describe it as a deep dusty rose with a hint of russet but not too much like Barry M's Paprika. This creme polish applies like a dream and you can get away with just one coat. It also lasts a good amount of time with a decent top coat applied. So when I don't want to opt for the darker berry, red and black shades that are familiar with this season I have been reaching for this little beauty.
What is your favourite nail polish for Autumn?
Sunday, 16 November 2014
It's that time of month again when I share the contents of this months Birchbox. The November offering is themed around staying Cosy at Home on these chilly Autumnal nights.
So here's the good stuff...
- OPI A Grape Affair! Nail Polish - part of their limited edition Coca-Cola collection. Although purple isn't really my first choice I really like the darkness of this one and it is a great shade addition to have at this time of year.
- Beauty Protector Protect & Treat Hair Mask - I received two small pots of this deep conditioner and it couldn't have arrived at a better time as the ends of my hair are feeling dry and looking a little split. The mask smells lovely and I will be trying it out very soon.
- Lord & Berry Mini Bronzer in Sienna - This tiny sample looks great as it's not too warm and doesn't contain any shimmer. I had a quick swatch and the product applies smoothly and naturally. I will see what it looks like on the face and then make my judgement.
- LipGlam Natural Lanolin Lip Balm - This is probably the product I was most most excited about! As my current pot of Reve de Miel is nearing the end I have already cracked this open as I like many others suffer with chapped lips at this time of year. Although a lot thicker than I expected this balm instantly soothes dry lips and has a multitude of uses.
- Dr.Jart + V7 Cleansing Foam - A full size of this cleanser was included which is pretty impressive to say that it retails for £15. Rich in vitamins and antioxidants, this sulphate-free cleanser claims to leave your complexion radiant and bright. I am trying to use up lots of skincare that I have on the go at the moment but once I have I will definitely try this out.
- Drinkwel The Food Supplement For People Who Drink - Hmm are they getting the wrong idea about me?! These vitamin capsules have been formulated for healthy people who like to responsibly consume alcohol! Although I will try these probably over the Christmas period I am not too keen on supplement/vitamin Lifestyle extras as I don't feel you get to fully experience them with a small sample. I would have preferred the chocolate that everyone else got!
This is an amazing box and I'm super impressed with all the contents. Thumbs up to Birchbox!
What did you get in your Birchbox this month?
Saturday, 8 November 2014
York night out | Great film | The drink of doom | Mmm
Sparkly Pumpkin | Luxury bathing | Agonising flats | The best coffee
My cutie pie | T-shirt shopping | Not keen on Paprika | Painted dressing table
October was a good month that was kick started by an excellent girls night out in York but boy did I pay for it the next day. It reminded me exactly why I don't drink jager bombs...
I finally went to see Gone Girl and although this film has received mixed reviews I loved it and would definitely watch it again. Rosamund Pike was just amazing as Amy!
My dressing table has been an irritating factor for years as the antique pine looked so out of date but I need the storage that modern versions just don't have. I eventually got it painted using Farrow & Ball White Tie and although it's not quite Pinterest worthy just yet I am really happy with the results.
If you're ever in Harrogate I recommend a visit to LMDC Espresso Bar. They serve the best coffee in town and the brownies are to die for. I especially love the Nutella and chocolate orange variety, mmm! LMDC is situated on John Street.
What did you get up to in October?
You can follow me on Instagram here
Friday, 24 October 2014
Reading all of the Lush hauls that are around of late got me craving a little fix so I popped in at the weekend and came away with a few seasonal goodies. The Sparkly Pumpkin Bubble Bar was the first thing in my basket as I just couldn't resist all that gold glitter. Containing a blend of juniperberry, lime and grapefruit oil this one packs a sweet citrus punch and turns the bath to a lovely sparkly orange bubbly delight. Bubble Bars are my favourite out of all the bath products as you get at least a few uses out of each one. As the Northern Lights Bath Bomb had sold out I decided on Shoot for the Stars instead which is a giant blue Bath Bomb with a glittery white star. This one releases multiple colours when dropped in the tub and has the sweet honey and citrusy scent of Honey I Washed The Kids. Next up, who could say no to the cute little Butterbear Bath Bomb? Although this probably isn't going to be the most visually appealing it smells of delicious vanilla and is enriched with cocoa butter so I plan on using this after a cold Winter day to nourish dry skin and just unwind. Last of all I decided to go all out Christmas with the Star Light, Star Bright Bath Melt. This little melt is loaded with glitter that covers you when you pick it up so best avoided if you don't want to sparkle! This little star turns the bath into a magical turquoise and silver splendour and contains shea butter and coconut oil to sooth and encourage super soft skin. It smells of ginger and lime so there's no surprise I picked th...
What have you been buying from Lush just lately? Any recommendations?
Sunday, 19 October 2014
The theme of this months Birchbox is "work it" and the products contained are aimed to help you get motivated and tackle whatever your days will bring. Birchbox have also partnered with CoppaFeel! to coincide with breast cancer awareness month to get you all the info you need to spot the early signs and symptoms. Fantastic idea!
So here are the contents...
- Balance Me Cleanse And Smooth Face Balm - I love trying new cleansers and always enjoy Balance Me products so I am looking forward to trying this. This balm contains oatmeal powder to gently exfoliate the skin whilst cleansing and is supposedly ideal for dry skin which will make it great for Winter.
- KMS California Tame Frizz Smoothing Lotion - This lightweight leave-in lotion is designed to detangle hair and tame and manage flyaways. I don't think I will actually use this as my hair doesn't get frizzy so I will pass this one on.
- Shaveworks The Cool Fix - This gel has been formulated to treat ingrown hairs, razor bumps and redness after hair removal. On application it feels cool and I will definitely give this a try to see if it's a product that I need.
- Pixi by Petra Shea Butter Lip Balm - This full sized product is definitely the one I was most excited about! I received 'Honey Nectar' which provides a hint of a flattering nude colour while moisturising the lips. I can see I am going to get a lot of use out of this during the cold weather months ahead.
- Meaningful Beauty Anti-Ageing Wrinkle Smoothing Capsules - I'm intrigued about these if only for the fact that I have never used any skincare in capsule form before. Created by Dr. Sebagh (?) and Cindy Crawford these capsules target fine lines for firmer, plumper, younger looking skin. I will be trying them very soon!
- Birchbox Lipstick Pen - Who doesn't want a pen in the shape of a lipstick? This little cutie is gong straight in my handbag so I may actually be able to find a pen for once.
The usual drawstring pouch has been traded in for a pink makeup bag with a zip fastener this month that will come in great for transporting bits and bobs on the go!
I really like this months Birchbox. There is only one product that I won't use but I feel that the others more than compensate for that.
Do you get Birchbox? What products did you receive this month?
Thursday, 9 October 2014
MAC's Shanghai Spice lipstick had been on my wish list for quite sometime so I finally purchased it with some Birthday money last month. Meet my new favourite everyday lipstick...
Shanghai Spice is a Cremesheen + Pearl formula so is therefore super moisturising and a breeze to apply. The appearance has a shine to it but is not glossy and if built up stays around for a decent amount of time. It is described by MAC as frosted neutral pink which may be alarming to some but there really is no 'frostiness' here. When swatching a tiny amount of iridescence can be seen in certain lights but it does not transfer to the lips. I would describe this shade as a nude pink with a smoky peach undertone that makes it warmer and much easier to wear than some of the starker nudes around that I can't carry off.
Shanghai Spice is the perfect Autumnal nude lip in my opinion and also looks great with a smoky eye when you want a more paired down lip colour. I absolutely love it and will always have one in my collection.
Have you tried Shanghai Spice? What is your go-to nude lipstick?
Sunday, 5 October 2014
September selfie | Lovely cupcakes | Mmmm | Birthday presents
Bill's | Best buds | Glamour & Chocolates | Mini liner
The best kind of packages | A lovely thank you present | The last of the Summer nails | Watch love
September was a strange old month for me with lots of highs and lows but I'll focus on the good times. It was my Birthday early on in the month and I received the most gorgeous cupcakes. Some had toffee sauce on and I could quite happily eat one on a daily basis. As Bill's is new in town I decided to go there for a Birthday lunch and the over indulgence definitely continued!
I received the most beautiful flowers as a thank you present from a customer and they were happily accompanied by a bottle of prosecco and some cream cakes that I shared with my colleagues. Mmmm.
I thought I would have one last fling with some Summery nails and chose to paint them with Barry M's Prickly Pear and Huckleberry topped off with a dose of Essie glitter. Until next year pretty pastels.
So food, wine and beauty stuff is what September was all about. Pretty good if you ask me.
What did you enjoy about September?